ADTRAN® NetVanta 5305 router review
The ADTRAN NetVanta 5305 router supports up to two channelized DS3s. It can simultaneously support the frame relay connectivity and secure Internet access from a single platform. It also has redundant AC power supply which is optional and 10/100 Base T Ethernet LAN ports.
The router can provide class based weighted fair queuing, weighted fair queuing and low latency. The stateful inspection firewall will protect the user from the common denial of service attacks such as ICMP redirect, IP spoofing etc. URL filtering provided by the router will allow the administrator to restrict the internet access of the users. The Voice over IP will allow setting up, tear down and send messages through the Internet NAT enabled firewall.
The router is based on the ADTRAN Operating system. The ADTRAN Operating system provides a command line interface which is user familiar which will allow the users to configure the scripts to be used and to download and save quick and easy recovery mechanism. For routing between VLANS the router provides VLAN trunking. For LAN segmentation or broadband backup, the router provides dual auto sensing 10/100 Base T interface. For managing the internet access and enforcing the internet usage policies it has inherent URL filtering also. The enclosure type of the router is rack mountable 3U. The expansion slots available for the router are six. Data link protocols provided by this router are frame relay and PPP. The status indicators will indicate status, test mode, link ok, active, transmit and receive.
- FIVE –Â Standard protocolsThe standard protocols provided by the router includes routing protocols, data link protocols etc. The AOS will allow the support for the static and default routes, accurate network convergence, demand and policy based routing etc since the router is complemented by the AOS. The support for the accurate network convergence is achieved by using the BGP, RIP, OSPF routing protocols.
- FOUR –Â SecurityThe router provides security to the users. The AOS will provide added security to the users. It is a powerful stateful inspection firewall which will deliver high performance. The URL filtering provided by the it will allow the administrators to permit or deny some specific URLs for restricting the internet access. The firewall, provided by the AOS, will protect the users from the attacks of denial of service.
- THREE –Â Voice over IP readyIn the router, voice over IP is ready. The application layer gateway session initialization protocol is combined with the quality of service features for allowing the SIP traffic to traverse network address translation enabled firewall. TO set up, for passing voice and call control messages etc in phones, SIP based devices etc are allowed with this interoperability for an enterprise network through a NAT enabled firewall. For ensuring superior call quality for quick isolation of network issues the VOIP provide diagnostic tools.
- TWO –Â Modular hardwareIt is a single platform. The router has a modular hardware design. The Netvanta 5305 router is residing in a 3U. The router has a rack mountable metal enclosure which is high and having a size of 19 inches. The router provides six interface slots and dual 10/100 Base T Ethernet port.
- ONE – Â Quality of ServiceOne of the features of the router is Quality of Service. The Quality of Service will provide support for the delay sensitive traffic such as video or voice over IP. The low latency queuing, class based weighted fair queuing, WFQ etc are used by the router for controlling network congestion and prioritizing the mission critical traffic and also to establish the IP packets’ priority over the WAN.
The ADTRAN NetVanta 5305 router is based on the ADTRAN Operating System which will provide inspection firewall security to the users.