How to set up a wireless router as access point, and connect it to the second main router?
It’s quite a constructive move to get the wireless functionality out of a Wi-Fi router and reuse it as an access point. Wireless routers are quite reliable and affordable than the actual wireless access points. Adding the access point to an already-existing wired network or to the main NAT router provided by ISP is the best solution.
So, instead of using your wireless router just the way it is, it’s far better to convert it in to a wireless access point, which will make the configuration much simpler than before. This new wireless access point will require to be configured to use a LAN IP address in your network range. For that matter, one of the LAN ports will need to be connected to the existing router/gateway.
Note: Don’t use the WAN port
To set up a wireless router as an access point, perform the following actions:
- Connect your computer to one of the LAN Ethernet ports at the back of the router
- Launch your web browser and go to the browser’s address bar
- Type www.routerlogin.com, www.routerlogin.net You’ll be prompted to log in to your router
- Enter your username and password. Change the default name and default password to the one of your choice. Do remember that login credentials are case-sensitive
- Click on ‘Advanced’ tab and select Setup>LAN
- Change the LAN IP address of the router in the IP address field to 192.168.1.100 and clear the Use Router as DHCP server check box
- Click on Apply
- Select Wireless Setup and indicate the wireless settings required by you (SSID, Channel, Security)
- You can now connect the router that you just set up as an access point to the available Ethernet ports of the main router in the network
- Power cycle both the routers (The second connected router will now functions as an access point)
So, this way you can set up a wireless router as an access point on a network that has another router serving as the main router. If you’re unable to do so, then iYogi online tech support is there for you to assist you. Call on our toll-free number and speak to our tech expert about your technical issues.