Capabilities of a router are enhanced by the firmware it has. Firmware simply means the software integrated inside a router that executes a part of all network communications, security methodologies, and the overall administration. Although every router has a company-specific firmware, but it can be further upgraded with another firmware, provided it is compatible.
At this point of time, open-source development of technology has led to creation of innovative frameworks, programs, and solutions. Firmware advancement is no exception to it. In context to this, ‘DD-WRT’ is a reliable and functionally rich firmware for wireless broadband routers. This open-source firmware, which is based on Linux platform, offers free download for personal use and comes with advanced features and enhancements designated for an optimized experience. The user interface opens in a standard graphical web browser format to let you configure the system easily, without any need for the technical expertise.
The sheer advantage of DD-WRT firmware over any standard firmware is as following:
• Quality of Service (QoS) navigation options that include prioritization of network traffic, availability (uptime), bandwidth (throughput), latency (delay), and error rate
• Configurable firewall features based on optimized ‘iptables’ filtering mechanism of Linux
• Support for IPv6 platform and an address translation mechanism from IPv6 to IPv4
• Speed-enhancement system known as Afterburner powered by Broadcom chipsets, provided, the router and the subscribed network both support this feature
• Kai Daemon feature to support network tunneling for game consoles, Microsoft XBOX in particular
• Enables Hot-spot feature for Wi-Fi
• Access-point management solutions such as Sputnik Agent, Wifidog, ChilliSpot, etc.
Turning-in more advantage, being open to developers, any bug found in the firmware is quickly brought to notice and hence fixed. Many router manufacturers, such as Linksys, already feature default DD-WRT firmware in their various products. To check the complete details of the firmware and its compatibility with your router, click here.